(A). Is a plain cap, from Dutch mob = a cap
Probably mop is another form of the same word, and all come from
the Latin mappa (a clout), whence our word map (a drawing
on cloth), in contradistinction to a cartoon (a drawing on
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Mob-cap from Infoplease:
- Mob-cap - Mob-cap (A). Is a plain cap, from Dutch mob = a cap Probably mop is another form of the same word, ...
- mobcap: meaning and definitions - mobcap: Definition and Pronunciation
- Knot and Bridle - Knot and Bridle (A). A mob-cap. Upon her head a small mob-cap she placed. Of lawn so stiff, with ...
- Cornette - Cornette Porter la cornette. To be domineered over by the woman of the house; to be a Jerry Sneak. ...
- Louisa May Alcott: Pattypans - "What's the matter, Daisy?"