The Chapter of Mitton. So the battle of Mitton was called,
because so many priests took part therein. Hailes says that “three
hundred ecclesiastics fell in this battle, which was fought September
“So many priests took part in the fight that the Scots called it the
Chapter of Mitton- a meeting of the clergymen belonging to a cathedral
being called a chapter” —Sir Walter Scott: Tales of a Grandfather, x.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Mitton from Infoplease:
- Mitton - Mitton The Chapter of Mitton. So the battle of Mitton was called, because so many priests took part ...
- YellowBrickRoad - Starring Cassidy Freeman, Anessa Ramsey, Laura Heisler, Lee Wilkof, Clark Freeman
- Sir Fred Hoyle - Hoyle, Sir Fred Hoyle, Sir Fred , 1915–2001, British astrophysicist and mathematician, b. ...
- Pluto, in astronomy - Pluto Pluto, in astronomy, a dwarf planet and the first Kuiper belt, or transneptunian, object (see ...
- Score by Periods - Score by Periods 1 2 3 Final North America 3 6 5 — 14 World 3 4 5 — 12 Power plays: ...