(4 syl.). Our fifty-first psalm is so called. One of the
evening services of Lent is called misererc, because this
penitential psalm is sung, after which a sermon is delivered. The under
side of a folding seat in choir-stalls is called a miserere; when turned up it forms a ledge-seat sufficient to rest the aged in a
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Miserere from Infoplease:
- Miserere - Miserere Miserere , in the Bible, the 51st (or 50th) Psalm, beginning “Miserere mei, Deus ...
- Miserere: meaning and definitions - Miserere: Definition and Pronunciation
- Miserere - Miserere (4 syl.). Our fifty-first psalm is so called. One of the evening services of Lent is ...
- stall - stall stall, small division of a larger space, sometimes partly partitioned. The term is used for a ...
- Henryk Mikolaj Górecki - Górecki, Henryk Mikolaj Górecki, Henryk Mikolaj , 1933–, Polish composer. He ...