(2 syl.). “Enfants de la messe de minuit, ” pickpockets.
Cotgrave gives “night-walking rakehells, such as haunt these nightly
rites only to rob and play the knaves.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Minuit from Infoplease:
- Minuit: meaning and definitions - Minuit: Definition and Pronunciation
- Peter Minuit - Minuit, Peter Minuit, Peter , c.1580–1638, first director-general of New Netherland, b. Wesel ...
- Minuit - Minuit (2 syl.). “Enfants de la messe de minuit, ” pickpockets. Cotgrave gives ...
- New Sweden - New Sweden New Sweden, Swedish colony (1638–55), on the Delaware River; included parts of ...
- Wouter Van Twiller - Van Twiller, Wouter Van Twiller, Wouter, fl. 1632–1640, Dutch director-general of New ...