at Christmas time are emblematical of the manger in which our
Saviour was laid. The paste over the “offering” was made in form of a cratch or hay-rack. (See Plum Pudding.)
Slang for “the eyes.” (See Chivy.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Mince Pies from Infoplease:
- mince pie: meaning and definitions - mince pie: Definition and Pronunciation
- Mince Pies - Mince Pies at Christmas time are emblematical of the manger in which our Saviour was laid. The ...
- What does it mean? festschrift - festschrift -- Listen to the pronunciation: WAV format or AU format Professor Riddy's ...
- pie - pie pie, meat, fish, fowl, fruit, or vegetables baked with a crust of pastry, or pastry shells ...
- A feast on live bulls and k... - The Surprising Adventures Of Baron Munchausenby Rudolph Erich Raspe Count Gosamer thrown by Sph... ...