The Scandinavian god of wisdom, and most celebrated of the
giants. The Vanir, with whom he was left as a hostage, cut off his
head. Odin embalmed it by his magic art, pronounced over it mystic
runes, and ever after consulted it on critical occasions. (Scandinavian mythology.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Mimer from Infoplease:
- mime: meaning and definitions - mime: Definition and Pronunciation
- Mimer - Mimer The Scandinavian god of wisdom, and most celebrated of the giants. The Vanir, with whom he ...
- Mimer's Well - Mimer's Well A well in which all wisdom lay concealed. It was at the root of the celestial ...
- The Infoplease Crossword Puzzle: Plays - by Kelly Ann Buchanan Solve our weekly interactive crossword puzzle! Click "Reveal" for ...
- Odin - Odin Chief god of the Scandinavians. His real name was Siggë, son of Fridulph, but he assumed ...