means simply a thousand years. (Latin, mille annus.) In Rev.
xx. 2 it is said that an angel bound Satan a thousand years, and in
verse 4 we are told of certain martyrs who will come to life again, and
“reign with Christ a thousand years.” “This,” says St. John, “is the
first resurrection;” and this is what is meant by the millennium.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Millennium from Infoplease:
- millennium - millennium millennium [Lat.,=1,000 years], the period of 1,000 years in which, according to some ...
- Millennial Markers - Millennial Markers Voices and visions of the next millennium by Ricco Villanueva Siasoco Millennium ...
- Y2K Survivalists - Y2K Survivalists Should you be stockpiling canned food? by Gerry Brown The survivalist mentality in ...
- Millennial Questions - The Pedant's Millennium When Does the Millennium Officially Begin? by Borgna Brunner Related ...
- Y2K: No News is Bad News To Some - Y2K: Almost Scot-Free No News is Bad News To Some by Gerry Brown In Seattle, Y2K celebrations ...