Tutelary god of the Aztecs, in honour of whom they named their
empire Mexico. (Southey.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Mexitli from Infoplease:
- Mexitli - Mexitli Tutelary god of the Aztecs, in honour of whom they named their empire Mexico. (Southey.) ...
- Walt Whitman: Song of Myself, Part 41 - I am he bringing help for the sick as they pant on their backs, And for strong upright men I bring yet more needed help.
- Origin of State Names - Origin of State Names Alabama From Alabama River by early European explorers and named ...
- New Mexico - Information on New Mexico — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
- Madoc - Madoc The youngest son of Owain Gwyneth, King of North Wales, who died in 1169. According to ...