The dynasty of Merovius, a Latin form of Merwig (great
warrior). Similarly Louis is Clovis, and Clovis is Clot-wig (noted warrior).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Merovingian Dynasty from Infoplease:
- Merovingian Dynasty - Merovingian Dynasty The dynasty of Merovius, a Latin form of Merwig (great warrior). Similarly ...
- Merovingian: meaning and definitions - Merovingian: Definition and Pronunciation
- Pepin of Heristal - Pepin of Heristal Pepin of Heristal (Pepin II), d. 714, mayor of the palace (680–714) of the ...
- Merovingians - Merovingians Merovingians, dynasty of Frankish kings, descended, according to tradition, from ...
- coronation - coronation coronation, ceremony of crowning and anointing a sovereign on his or her accession to ...