A guide, a wise and faithful counsellor; so called from Mentor,
a friend of Ulysses, whose form Minerva assumed when she accompanied
Telemachos in his search for his father. (Fénelon: Télémaque.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Mentor from Infoplease:
- Mentor, village, United States - Mentor Mentor, residential village (1990 pop. 47,358), Lake co., NE Ohio, on Lake Erie; founded ...
- mentor: meaning and definitions - mentor: Definition and Pronunciation
- Mentor, in Greek mythology - Mentor Mentor , in Greek mythology, friend of Odysseus and tutor of Telemachus. On several ...
- Richard Mentor Johnson - Johnson, Richard Mentor Johnson, Richard Mentor, 1780–1850, Vice President of the United ...
- Richard Mentor JOHNSON - Richard Mentor JOHNSON (1780-1850) Senate Years of Service: 1819-1829 Party: Democratic Republican; ...