Any shepherd or rustic. The name figures in the Eclogues of Virgil and the Idyls of Theocritos.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Menalcas from Infoplease:
- Menalcas - Menalcas Any shepherd or rustic. The name figures in the Eclogues of Virgil and the Idyls of ...
- Andrew Marvell: Second Song - [Hobbinol. Phillis. Tomalin.]
- Delia - Delia of Pope's line, “Slander or poison dread from Delia's rage,” was Lady ...
- Rosalind - Rosalind Daughter of the banished duke, but brought up with Celia in the court of Frederick, the ...
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: M - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "M"