(4 syl.). Son of Ino, a sea deity. Athamas imagined his wife to
be a lioness, and her two sons to be lion's cubs. In his frenzy he slew
one of the boys, and drove the other (named Melicertes) with his mother
into the sea. The mother became a sea-goddess, and the boy the god of
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Melicertes from Infoplease:
- Ino - Ino Ino , in Greek mythology, daughter of Cadmus. She was the wife of Athamas, to whom she bore ...
- Athamas - Athamas Athamas , in Greek mythology, king of Boeotia. He married Nephele, who bore him Phrixus and ...
- Melicertes - Melicertes Melicertes : see Athamas; Ino.
- Melicertes - Melicertes (4 syl.). Son of Ino, a sea deity. Athamas imagined his wife to be a lioness, and her ...
- Palaemon - Palaemon originally called Melicertes. Son of Ino; called Palaemon after he was made a sea-god. The ...