A corruption of the Greek hemi-crania (half the skull),
through the French migraine. A neuralgic affection generally
confined to one brow, or to one side of the forehead: whims, fancies.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Megrims from Infoplease:
- megrim: meaning and definitions - megrim: Definition and Pronunciation
- Megrims - Megrims A corruption of the Greek hemi-crania (half the skull), through the French migraine. A ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index mazard Mazarin mazarine Mazar-i-Sharif Mazatec Mazatlán Mazdaism maze mazel ...
- Devils - Devils (in Dante's Divine Comedy): Alichino (The allurer.) Barbariccia. (The malicious.) ...
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: M - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "M"