(3 syl.). In the game of Ombre, Spadille (the ace of
spades), Manille (the seven of trumps), and Basto (the
ace of clubs), are called “Matadores.”
Now move to war her sable Matadore ...
Spadillo first, unconquerable lord,
Led off two captive trumps, and swept the board.
As many more Manillo forced to yield.
And marched a victor from the verdant field.
Him Basto followed ...
Pope: Rape of the Lock, canto iii.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Matadore from Infoplease:
- The Matador - Starring Lluis Agusti, Veronica Canete, David Fandila, Trini Fandila, Juan Fandila
- matador: meaning and definitions - matador: Definition and Pronunciation
- The Matador (2006) - Starring Pierce Brosnan, Greg Kinnear, Hope Davis, Philip Baker Hall, Adam Scott
- Matador (1986) - Starring Assumpta Serna, Antonio Banderas, Nacho Martinez, Eva Cobo, Julieta Serrano
- Matadore - Matadore (3 syl.). In the game of Ombre, Spadille (the ace of spades), Manille (the seven of ...