(3 syl.). A Christian tribe of Syria in the eighth century; so
called from the monastery of Maron, on the slopes of Lebanon, their
chief seat; so called from John Maron, Patriarch of Antioch, in the
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Maronites from Infoplease:
- Maronite: meaning and definitions - Maronite: Definition and Pronunciation
- Maronites - Maronites Maronites , Lebanese Christian community, in communion with the pope. By emigration they ...
- Maronites - Maronites (3 syl.). A Christian tribe of Syria in the eighth century; so called from the monastery ...
- Eastern Rite Churches - Eastern Rite Churches These include the Uniate Churches that recognize the authority of the pope ...
- Camille Chamoun - Chamoun, Camille Chamoun, Camille , 1900–1987, Lebanese political leader. Chamoun held a ...