To sing the Magnificat at matins. To do things at the wrong
time, or out of place. The Magnificat does not belong to the morning
service, but to vespers. The Magnificat is Luke i. 46-55 in Latin.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Magnificat from Infoplease:
- Magnificat - Magnificat Magnificat [Lat.,=magnifies], song of the Virgin Mary, beginning “Magnificat anima ...
- Magnificat: meaning and definitions - Magnificat: Definition and Pronunciation
- Magnificat - Magnificat To sing the Magnificat at matins. To do things at the wrong time, or out of place. The ...
- Hannah - Hannah Hannah, in the Bible, Samuel's mother. Her song is recalled in the Magnificat. The names ...
- vespers - vespers vespers [Lat.,=evening], in the Christian Church, principal evening office. In the Roman ...