Mad as a Hatter
By some said to be a corruption of “Mad as an atter”
(adder); but evidence is wanting. The word adder is atter in
Saxon, natter in German.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Mad as a Hatter from Infoplease:
- Mad as a Hatter - Mad as a Hatter By some said to be a corruption of “Mad as an atter” (adder); but ...
- mad: meaning and definitions - mad: Definition and Pronunciation
- Alice in Wonderland - Starring Johnny Depp, Mia Wasikowska, Anne Hathaway, Helena Bonham Carter, Crispin Glover
- The Amazing Colossal Man (1957) - Starring Glenn Langan, Cathy Downs, William Hudson, Larry Thor, James Seay
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Starring Fiona Fullerton, Michael Crawford, Ralph Richardson, Peter Sellers, Flora Robson