Mahomet, Mahoun, or Mahound.
“Praised (quoth he) be Macon whom we serve.”
Fairfax: Tasso, xii. 10.
A poetical and romance name of Mecca, the birthplace of Mahomet.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Macon from Infoplease:
- Macon: meaning and definitions - Macon: Definition and Pronunciation
- Mâcon - Mâcon Mâcon , town (1990 pop. 38,503), capital of Saône-et-Loire dept., E central ...
- Macon - Macon Macon , city (1990 pop. 106,612), seat of Bibb co., central Ga., at the head of navigation on ...
- Bayou Macon - Macon, Bayou Macon, Bayou , c.145 mi (230 km) long, rising in SE Ark. and flowing S into NE La. to ...
- Nathaniel Macon - Macon, Nathaniel Macon, Nathaniel , 1758–1837, American political leader, b. near the present ...