Lord Macdonald's breed. Parasites. Lord Macdonald (son of the
Lord of the Isles) once made a raid on the mainland. He and his
followers, with other plunder, fell on the clothes of the enemy, and
stripping off their own rags, donned the smartest and best they could
lay hands on, with the result of being overrun with parasites.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Macdonald from Infoplease:
- Macdonald: meaning and definitions - Macdonald: Definition and Pronunciation
- George Macdonald - Macdonald, George Macdonald, George, 1824–1905, Scottish author. Ordained a Congregational ...
- Flora Macdonald - Macdonald, Flora Macdonald, Flora, 1722–90, Scottish Jacobite heroine. She aided Charles ...
- Dwight Macdonald - Macdonald, Dwight Macdonald, Dwight, 1906–82, American author and editor, b. New York City. ...
- John Sandfield Macdonald - Macdonald, John Sandfield Macdonald, John Sandfield, 1812–72, Canadian political leader. He ...