Mud-hovels; the ancient name of Paris. The Romans call itLutetia Parisiorum, the mud-town of the Parisii. The former word
being dropped, has left the present name Paris.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Lutetia from Infoplease:
- Lutetia - Lutetia: Lutetia: see Paris, France.
- Lutetia - Lutetia Mud-hovels; the ancient name of Paris. The Romans call itLutetia Parisiorum, the mud-town ...
- Paris: meaning and definitions - Paris: Definition and Pronunciation
- Michael Georg Conrad - Conrad, Michael Georg Conrad, Michael Georg , 1846–1927, German critic and novelist. With ...
- Frogs - Frogs Frenchmen, properly Parisians. So called from their ancient heraldic device, which was three ...