A professor of mathematics in the University of Cambridge. This
professorship was founded in 1663 by Henry Lucas, Esq, M.P. for the
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Lucasian Professor from Infoplease:
- Lucasian Professor - Lucasian Professor A professor of mathematics in the University of Cambridge. This professorship ...
- Sir Isaac Newton: Early Life and Work - Early Life and Work Newton studied at Cambridge and was professor there from 1669 to 1701, ...
- William Whiston - Whiston, William Whiston, William, 1667–1752, English clergyman and mathematician. He won ...
- Stephen Hawking - Biography of Stephen Hawking, The author of A Brief History of Time
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: L - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "L"