The hero of Richardson novel called Clarissa Harlowe. He
is a selfish voluptuary, a man of fashion, whose sole ambition is to
ensnare female modesty and virtue Crabbe calls him “rich, proud, and
crafty; handsome, brave, and gay.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Lovelace from Infoplease:
- Lovelace: meaning and definitions - Lovelace: Definition and Pronunciation
- Richard Lovelace - Lovelace, Richard Lovelace, Richard, 1618–1657?, one of the English Cavalier poets. He was ...
- Lovelace - Starring Amanda Seyfried, James Franco, Wes Bentley, Chloë Sevigny, Juno Temple
- Linda Lovelace - Biography of Linda Lovelace, The star of the sexually explicit film Deep Throat
- Henderson Lovelace LANHAM - Henderson Lovelace LANHAM (1888-1957) LANHAM, Henderson Lovelace, a Representative from Georgia; ...