(To). To look very angry, as if to annihilate you. Clytus
says to Alexander, “You cannot look me dead.”
“You may look daggers, but use none.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Look Daggers from Infoplease:
- Look Daggers - Look Daggers (To). To look very angry, as if to annihilate you. Clytus says to Alexander, ...
- dagger: meaning and definitions - dagger: Definition and Pronunciation
- look: meaning and definitions - look: Definition and Pronunciation
- Daggers - Daggers To speak daggers, To look daggers. To speak or look so as to wound the sensibilities. ...
- Louisa May Alcott: Friend - Though very happy in the social atmosphere about her, and very busy with the daily work that earned her bread and made it sweeter for the effort, Jo s