The central milliarium (milestone) of Roman London, similar to that in the Forum of Rome. The British high roads radiated from this stone, and it was from this point they were measured. Near London Stone lived Fitz Alwyne, who was the first mayor of London.
London Stone was removed for security into the wall of St. Swithin's church, facing Cannon Street station, and secured from damage by an iron railing.
There are two inscriptions, one in Latin and one in English. The latter runs thus:-
“London stone. Commonly believed to be a Roman work, long placed about xxxv feet hence towards the south-west, and afterwards built into the wall of this church, was, for more careful protection and transmission to future ages, better secured by the church wardens in the year of OVR LORD MDCCCLXIX.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on London Stone from Infoplease: