A name applied to certain designers, who worked for engravers,
etc., in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. Called little because their designs were on a small scale, fit for copper or wood.
The most famous are Jost Amman, for the minuteness of his work; Hans
Burgmair, who made drawings in wood illustrative of the triumph of the
Emperor Maximilian; Hans Sebald Beham; Albert Altdorfer, and Henrich
Aldegraver. Albert Dürer and Lucas van Leyden made the art renowned and
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Little Masters from Infoplease:
- Little Masters - Little Masters A name applied to certain designers, who worked for engravers, etc., in the ...
- Hans von Kulmbach - Kulmbach, Hans von Kulmbach, Hans von , c.1480–1522, German painter and graphic artist. His ...
- Georg Pencz - Pencz, Georg Pencz, Georg , c.1500–1550, German painter and engraver of the Nuremberg school. ...
- Sunil Gavaskar - Biography of Sunil Gavaskar, Legendary Indian cricket player
- children's book illustration: Beginnings of a Genre - Beginnings of a Genre Among the first picture books produced in the West and intended for children ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring