A corruption of' Ulyssippo (Ulysses' polis or city). Said by
some to have been founded by Lusus, who visited Portugal with Ulysses,
whence “Lusitania” (q.v.); and by others to have been founded by
Ulysses himself This is Camoens' version. (See above.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Lisbon from Infoplease:
- Lisbon - Lisbon Lisbon , Port. Lisboa, ancient Olisipo, city (1991 pop. 677,790), W Portugal, capital of ...
- Lisbon: meaning and definitions - Lisbon: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/lisbon - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Lisbon - Lisbon A corruption of' Ulyssippo (Ulysses' polis or city). Said by some to have been ...
- Mysteries of Lisbon (Misterios de Lisboa) - Starring Léa Seydoux, Melvil Poupaud, Clotilde Hesme, Lena Friedrich, Malik Zidi