(The). The lions of a place are sights worth seeing, or
the celebrities; so called from the ancient custom of showing
strangers, as chief of London sights, the lions at the Tower. The Tower
menagerie was abolished in 1834.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Lions from Infoplease:
- lion: meaning and definitions - lion: Definition and Pronunciation
- lion - lion lion, large carnivore of the cat family, Panthera leo, found in open country in Africa, with a ...
- Leo, in astronomy - Leo Leo [Lat.,=the lion], northern constellation lying S of Ursa Major and on the ecliptic ...
- Gulf of Lion - Lion, Gulf of Lion, Gulf of, Fr. Golfe du Lion, arm of the Mediterranean Sea, S France, extending ...
- sea lion: meaning and definitions - sea lion: Definition and Pronunciation