In fountains the water generally is made to issue from the
mouth of a lion. This is a very ancient custom. The Egyptians thus
symbolised the inundation of the Nile, which happens when the sun is in
Leo. The Greeks and Romans adopted the same device for their fountains.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Lion's Head from Infoplease:
- Lion's Head - Lion's Head In fountains the water generally is made to issue from the mouth of a lion. This is ...
- chimera: meaning and definitions - chimera: Definition and Pronunciation
- Bubastis - Bubastis Bubastis , ancient city, NE Egypt, in the Nile delta, near the modern Zagazig. Capital of ...
- Leo, in astronomy - Leo Leo [Lat.,=the lion], northern constellation lying S of Ursa Major and on the ecliptic ...
- monsters and imaginary beasts - monsters and imaginary beasts. monsters and imaginary beasts. The mythologies and legends of ...