Lincoln's Inn Fields
London. Henry Lacy, Earl of Lincoln, built an inn (mansion)
here in the 14th century. The ground belonged to the Black Friars, but
was granted by Edward I. to Lacy. Later, one of the bishops of
Chichester, in the reign of Henry VII., granted leases here to certain
students of law.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Lincoln's Inn Fields from Infoplease:
- Lincoln's Inn Fields - Lincoln's Inn Fields London. Henry Lacy, Earl of Lincoln, built an inn (mansion) here in the ...
- Thomas Betterton - Betterton, Thomas Betterton, Thomas , 1635?–1710, English actor and manager. He joined Sir ...
- Sir John Soane - Soane, Sir John Soane, Sir John , 1753–1837, English architect. After studying with George ...
- September 10 Birthdays: Sir John Soane - September 10 birthdays: Sir John Soane, Roger Maris, Randy Johnson, Colin Firth, Stephen Jay Gould, William Torrey Harris, Elsa Schiaparelli, Amy Irving, Charles Kuralt, Arnold Palmer
- Soane Museum - Soane Museum formed by Sir John Soane, and preserved in its original locality, No. 13, ...