The liability of a shareholder in a company only for a fixed
amount, generally the amount of the shares he has subscribed for. The
Limited Liability Act was passed 1855.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Limited Liability from Infoplease:
- limited liability: meaning and definitions - limited liability: Definition and Pronunciation
- Limited Liability - Limited Liability The liability of a shareholder in a company only for a fixed amount, generally ...
- William Gregg - Gregg, William Gregg, William, 1800–1867, American industrialist, known as the “father ...
- corporation tax - corporation tax corporation tax, imposts levied by federal, state, or local governments against ...
- Lloyd's - Lloyd's Lloyd's, London insurance underwriting corporation of many separate syndicates; ...