The crocodile, or some extinct sea monster, described in the
Book of Job (chap. xii.). It sometimes in Scripture designates Pharaoh,
King of Egypt, as in Psa. lxxiv. 14, Isa. xxvii. l, and Ezek. xxix. 3,
etc., where the word is translated “dragon.”
The Leviathan of Literature.
Dr. Johnson (1709-1784).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Leviathan from Infoplease:
- leviathan - leviathan leviathan , in the Bible, aquatic monster, presumably the crocodile, the whale, or a ...
- Leviathan - Starring Declan Conneely, Johnny Gatcombe, Adrian Guillette, Brian Jannelle, Clyde Lee
- leviathan: meaning and definitions - leviathan: Definition and Pronunciation
- Leviathan - Leviathan The crocodile, or some extinct sea monster, described in the Book of Job (chap. xii.). It ...
- behemoth - behemoth behemoth [Heb.,=plural of beast], large, fanciful primeval monster, like Leviathan, ...