(Sir Peter), the painter, was the son of Vander Vaas or Faes,
of Westphalia, whose house had a lily for its sign. Both father and son
went by the nickname of Le-lys (the Lily), a sobriquet which Peter
afterwards adopted as his cognomen.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Lely from Infoplease:
- Lely: meaning and definitions - Lely: Definition and Pronunciation
- Sir Peter Lely - Lely, Sir Peter Lely, Sir Peter , 1618–80, Dutch portrait painter in England. His original ...
- Lely - Lely (Sir Peter), the painter, was the son of Vander Vaas or Faes, of Westphalia, whose house had a ...
- Pieter van der Faes - Faes, Pieter van der: Faes, Pieter van der: see Lely, Sir Peter.
- Jacob Huysmans - Huysmans, Jacob Huysmans, Jacob , c.1633–1696, Flemish portrait painter. In the reign of ...