(2 syl.). Coloman, king of Hungary, was called The Learned (1095-1114). (See Beauclerc.)
The Learned Blacksmith.
Elihu Burritt, the linguist, who was at one time a blacksmith
(1811-1879). The Eearned Painter. Charles Lebrun, so called
from the great accuracy of his costumes (1619-1690). The Learned
Tailor. Henry Wild, of Norwich, who mastered, while he worked at
his trade, the Greek, Latin, Hebrew, Chaldaic, Syriac, Persian, and
Arabic languages (1684-1734).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Learned from Infoplease:
- learned: meaning and definitions - learned: Definition and Pronunciation
- learning - learning learning, in psychology, the process by which a relatively lasting change in potential ...
- learning disabilities - learning disabilities learning disabilities, in education, any of various disorders involved in ...
- book learning: meaning and definitions - book learning: Definition and Pronunciation
- Back to School Center - Find homework help, study tips, science project ideas, primers on grammar, math, writing, geography, biographies and more from Infoplease.com
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring