To be in leading-strings is to be under the control of
another. Leading-strings are those strings used for holding up infants
just learning to walk.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Leading Strings from Infoplease:
- leading strings: meaning and definitions - leading strings: Definition and Pronunciation
- Leading Strings - Leading Strings To be in leading-strings is to be under the control of another. Leading-strings are ...
- Canonicals - Canonicals The pouch on the gown of an M.D., designed for carrying drugs. The coif of a ...
- An encounter between the Ba... - The Surprising Adventures Of Baron Munchausenby Rudolph Erich Raspe In which the Baron proves h... ...
- Woodrow Wilson - Collected Inaugural Addresses of U.S. Presidents 31 - William Howard Taft Woodrow Wilson - 33 ...