Any poor beggar; so called from the Lazarus of the parable, who
was laid daily at the rich man's gate (St. Luke xvi.).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Lazarus from Infoplease:
- Lazarus: meaning and definitions - Lazarus: Definition and Pronunciation
- Lazarus - Lazarus Lazarus [Gr.,=Heb., Eleazar], in the New Testament. 1. Brother of Mary and Martha of ...
- Shelly Lazarus - Shelly Lazarus advertising executive Born: 1947 Birthplace: New York City Shelly Braff graduated ...
- Emma Lazarus - Biography of Emma Lazarus, Author of the poem on the Statue of Liberty
- Emma Lazarus - Lazarus, Emma Lazarus, Emma, 1849–87, American poet and essayist, b. New York City. Her early ...