(Greek, laura.) An aggregation of separate cells under
the control of a superior. In monasteries the monks live under one
roof; in lauras they live each in his own cell apart; but on certain
occasions they assemble and meet together, sometimes for a meal, and
sometimes for a religious service.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Lauras from Infoplease:
- Laura Nyro - Laura Nyro Age: 49 singer, songwriter Considered one of the most important women in rock history, ...
- Laura - Laura Laura, subject of the love poems of Petrarch. She is thought to be Laura de Noves ...
- Laura Ashley - Laura Ashley fashion designer Born: 1925 Birthplace: Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales, United Kingdom ...
- Laura Bridgman - Bridgman, Laura Bridgman, Laura, 1829–89, the first blind and deaf person to be successfully ...
- Laura Ashley - Ashley, Laura Ashley, Laura, 1925–85, British fashion designer and manufacturer. After ...