(Sir). “The chief of knights” and “darling of the
court.” Elaine, the lily of Astolat, fell in love with him, but he
returned not her love, and she died. (See Elaine.) (Tennyson: Idylls of the King; Elaine.)
or Launcelot Gobbo. Shylock's servant, famous for his
soliloquy whether or not he should run away from his master. (Shakespeare: Merchant of Venice.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Lancelot from Infoplease:
- Sir Launcelot - Launcelot, Sir Launcelot, Sir , in Arthurian legend, bravest and most celebrated knight at the ...
- Lancelot: meaning and definitions - Lancelot: Definition and Pronunciation
- Andrewes: meaning and definitions - Andrewes: Definition and Pronunciation
- Sir Lancelot, in Arthurian legend - Lancelot, Sir: Lancelot, Sir: see Launcelot, Sir.
- Lancelot, king of Naples - Lancelot Lancelot or Ladislaus, c.1376–1414, king of Naples (1386–1414), son and ...