Ladies and Gentlemen
Till 1808 public speakers began their addresses with “gentlemen
and ladies;” but since then the order has been reversed.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Ladies and Gentlemen from Infoplease:
- Ladies and Gentlemen: The Rolling Stones - Starring Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, Bill Wyman, Mick Taylor
- Ladies and Gentlemen: The Fabulous Stains - Starring Diane Lane, Ray Winstone, Peter Donat, David Clennon, Laura Dern
- And Now...Ladies and Gentlemen - Starring Jeremy Irons, Patricia Kaas, Thierry Lhermitte, Alessandra Martines, Jean-Marie Bigard
- Ladies & Gentlemen: The Rolling Stones Flashback to 1972 - Starring Mick Jagger
- Ladies and Gentlemen - Ladies and Gentlemen Till 1808 public speakers began their addresses with “gentlemen and ...