Cotton, the staple of the Southern States of America, and the
chief article of manufacture in England. The expression was first used
by James H. Hammond in the Senate of the United States, in 1858. The
great cotton manufacturers are called “cotton lords.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on King Cotton from Infoplease:
- King Cotton: meaning and definitions - King Cotton: Definition and Pronunciation
- King Cotton - King Cotton Cotton, the staple of the Southern States of America, and the chief article of ...
- Confederacy: Bibliography - Bibliography See J. Davis, The Rise and Fall of the Confederate Government (1881, abr. ed. 1961); ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index Kim Kimball Kimberley kimberlite Kimbundu kimchi Kim Il Sung Kim Jong Il kimmer ...
- Cotton Belt - Cotton Belt Cotton Belt, former agricultural region of the SE United States where cotton was the ...