[a trumpet ]. The son of Lamech and Adah. He is called
the inventor of the lyre and flute (Gen. iv. 19-21).
Then when he [Javan ] heard the voice of Jubal's lyre,
Instinctive genius caught the ethereal fire.
Montgomery: The World Before the Flood, c. 1.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Jubal from Infoplease:
- Jubal - Jubal Jubal , in the Bible, son of Lamech and originator of musical instruments.
- Jubal - Starring Glenn Ford, Ernest Borgnine, Rod Steiger, Valerie French, Felicia Farr
- Jubal: meaning and definitions - Jubal: Definition and Pronunciation
- early: meaning and definitions - early: Definition and Pronunciation
- Jubal - Jubal [a trumpet ]. The son of Lamech and Adah. He is called the inventor of the lyre and flute ...