(St.). The father of the Virgin Mary. Generally
represented as an old man carrying in a basket two
turtle-doves, in allusion to the offering made for the purification
of his daughter. His wife was St. Anne, of St. Anna.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Joachim from Infoplease:
- Joachim: meaning and definitions - Joachim: Definition and Pronunciation
- Saint Joachim - Joachim, Saint Joachim, Saint , in tradition, the father of the Virgin and husband of St. Anne; ...
- Joseph Joachim - Joachim, Joseph Joachim, Joseph , 1831–1907, Hungarian violinist; friend of Mendelssohn, ...
- Johann Joachim Quantz - Quantz, Johann Joachim Quantz, Johann Joachim , 1697–1773, German flutist and composer for ...
- Joseph Joachim Raff - Raff, Joseph Joachim Raff, Joseph Joachim , 1822–82, Swiss-German composer and pianist, ...