The Chapter-house of Westminster Abbey. Henry IV. died there,
March 20, 1413.
It hath been prophesied to me many years,
I should not die but in Jerusalem.
Shakespeare: 2 Henry IV., iv. 5.
Pope Silvester II. was told the same thing, and he died as he was
saying mass in a church so called. (Bacon: Tusculum.)
The Lower House of Convocation now meets in the Jerusalem Chamber.
The Upper House meets at Mr. Hodgson's, in Dean's Yard, Westminster.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Jerusalem Chamber from Infoplease:
- Jerusalem Chamber - Jerusalem Chamber The Chapter-house of Westminster Abbey. Henry IV. died there, March 20, 1413. It ...
- Ezra: 8 - These are now the chief of their fathers…
- William Shakespeare: Henry IV (Pt 2), Act IV, Scene IV - Now, lords, if God doth give successful end To this debate that bleedeth at our doors, We will our youth lead on to higher fields And draw no swords b
- 1 Esdras: 8 - And after these things, when Artexerxes the king…
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: J - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "J"