A term of endearment for a smart, bright little
fellow; a Jemmy Jessamy.
Smart she is, and handy, O !
Sweet as sugar-candy, O !
... `And I'm her Jack-a-dandy, O !
Slang for brandy. Dandy rhymes with brandy. (See Chivy.) In
Ireland “dandy” means whisky: but whisky = eau de vie; and eau de vie
“Dimidium cyathi vero apud Methropolitanos Herbernicos dicitur
Dandy.” —Blackwood's Magazine, May, 1838 (Father Tom and
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Jack-a-Dandy from Infoplease:
- jack-a-dandy: meaning and definitions - jack-a-dandy: Definition and Pronunciation
- Jack-a-Dandy - Jack-a-Dandy A term of endearment for a smart, bright little fellow; a Jemmy Jessamy. Smart she is, ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index J, j ja jab Jabal Jabalpur Jabari jabber Jabberwocky Jabir jabiru Jaboatão ...
- Jemmy Jessamy - Jemmy Jessamy (A). A Jack-a-dandy; a lady's foundling, “sweet as sugar-candy.” ...
- Tom - Tom Between “Tom” and “Jack” there is a vast difference. “Jack” ...