A lazy, good-natured person, the national impersonation of the
Russians as a people, as John Bull is of the English, Brother
Jonathan of the Americans, Jean Crapaud of the French, and Cousin Michael of the Germans.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Ivanovitch from Infoplease:
- Ivanovitch - Ivanovitch A lazy, good-natured person, the national impersonation of the Russians as a people, as ...
- Chaliapin: meaning and definitions - Chaliapin: Definition and Pronunciation
- Feodor Ivanovich Chaliapin - Chaliapin, Feodor Ivanovich Chaliapin, Feodor Ivanovich , 1873–1938, Russian operatic bass. ...
- Aleksey Konstantinovich Tolstoy - Tolstoy, Aleksey Konstantinovich Tolstoy, Aleksey Konstantinovich , 1817–75, Russian poet, ...
- Moscow Art Theater - Moscow Art Theater Moscow Art Theater, Russian repertory company founded in 1897 by Constantin ...