One of the angels commissioned by Gabriel to search for Satan,
who had effected his entrance into Paradise. The other angel who
accompanied him was Zephon (Ithuriel means “the discovery of God.”)
Ithuriel and Zephon, with winged speed
Search through this garden; leave unsearched no nook;
But chiefly where those two fair creatures lodge,
Now laid perhaps asleep, secure of harin.
Milton: Paradise Lost, book iv. 788-791.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Ithuriel from Infoplease:
- Ithuriel - Ithuriel One of the angels commissioned by Gabriel to search for Satan, who had effected his ...
- Ithuriel's Spear - Ithuriel's Spear The spear of the the angel Ithuriel, the slightest touch of which exposed ...
- Spear of Ithuriel - Spear of Ithuriel (The), the slightest touch of which exposed deceit. Thus when Ithuriel touched ...
- Zephon - Zephon [scarcher of secrets]. The cherub despatched by Gabriel to find Satan, after his flight from ...
- Preface by Mrs. Shelley - The Complete Poetical Works of Percy Bysshe Shelleyby Percy Bysshe Shelley Preface by Mrs. Shelley ...