Isthmus of Suez
The covered bridge of St. John's College, Cambridge,
is so called, because it connects the college with the grounds on the
other side of the river. Suez here is a pun on the word sus (a
hog), the Johnians being nicknamed hogs in University slang.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Isthmus of Suez from Infoplease:
- Isthmus of Suez - Isthmus of Suez The covered bridge of St. John's College, Cambridge, is so called, because it ...
- Suez Canal: meaning and definitions - Suez Canal: Definition and Pronunciation
- isthmus - isthmus isthmus , narrow neck of land connecting two larger land areas. Since it commands the only ...
- Lesseps, Ferdinand Marie, vicomte de - Lesseps, Ferdinand Marie, vicomte de Lesseps, Ferdinand Marie, vicomte de , 1805–94, French ...
- The Baron goes to Petersbur... - The Surprising Adventures Of Baron Munchausenby Rudolph Erich Raspe The Baron harangues the com... ...