The kingdom of Brunhild is identified by Von der Hagen with
Iceland, but Wackernagel says it means Amazonian land, and derives it
from the Old German itis (a woman). (The Nibelungen Lied.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Issland from Infoplease:
- Issland - Issland The kingdom of Brunhild is identified by Von der Hagen with Iceland, but Wackernagel says ...
- Brunehild - Brunehild (3 syl.) or Brunehilda. Daughter of the King of Issland, beloved by Günther, one of ...
- Günther - Günther King of Burgundy and brother of Kriemhild. He resolved to wed Brunhild, the martial ...
- Siegfried - Siegfried (2 syl.). Hero of the first part of the Nibelungen-Lied. He was the youngest son of ...
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: I - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "I"