(3 syl.) Daughter of OEdipus and Jocasta. Antigone was buried
alive by the order of King Creon, for burying her brother Polynices,
slain in combat by his brother Eteocles. Ismene declared that she had
aided her sister, and requested to be allowed to share the same
The lady-love of Ismenias, in the erotic romance of Eustathius or
Eumathius entitled Ismene and Ismenias (twelfth century).
Translated by Godfrey of Viterbo. Especially noteworthy from its being
reproduced in the Confessio Amantis of Gower, and forming the
plot of Shakespeare's Pericles.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Ismene from Infoplease:
- Ismene - Ismene Ismene , in Greek legend, daughter of Oedipus and sister of Antigone.
- Ismene: meaning and definitions - Ismene: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/ismene - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Ismene - Ismene (3 syl.) Daughter of OEdipus and Jocasta. Antigone was buried alive by the order of King ...
- Antigone - Antigone Antigone , in Greek mythology, daughter of Oedipus and Jocasta. In Sophocles' Oedipus ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring