A hedge-sparrow, a corruption of Chaucer's word, heisuagge.
(Anglo-Saxon, heag, hedge; sugga, the sugga bird.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Isaac from Infoplease:
- Isaacs: meaning and definitions - Isaacs: Definition and Pronunciation
- Jorge Isaacs - Isaacs, Jorge Isaacs, Jorge , 1837–95, Colombian novelist. The son of a prosperous Englishman ...
- Sir Isaac Alfred Isaacs - Isaacs, Sir Isaac Alfred Isaacs, Sir Isaac Alfred , 1855–1948, Australian jurist and ...
- reading: meaning and definitions - reading: Definition and Pronunciation
- Susan Sutherland Isaacs - Isaacs, Susan Sutherland Isaacs, Susan Sutherland, 1885–1948, British educator. After ...