A dish of food made by stewing together meat, onions, and
potatoes. Called “Irish” from the predominance of potatoes.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Irish Stew from Infoplease:
- Irish stew: meaning and definitions - Irish stew: Definition and Pronunciation
- Irish Stew - Irish Stew A dish of food made by stewing together meat, onions, and potatoes. Called ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index Inuit Inuktitut inulase inulin inunction inundant inundate Inupiaq Inupik inurbane ...
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: I - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "I"
- Misnomers - Misnomers Absalom means a Father's Peace, a fatal name for David's rebellious son. Acid ...